Since 1 January 2007, the Republic of Bulgaria has been a member of the EU and so enforces the General Visa Policy of the European Union, in keeping with the conditions of the Accession Treaty.
According to Article 4 of the Act concerning the conditions of accession of the Republic of Bulgaria and Romania, the provisions of the Schengen acquis specified in Annex ІІ to that Act shall be binding on and applicable in the Republic of Bulgaria from the date of accession (1 January 2007), while the rest shall be applicable from the date of the Council’s decision on Bulgaria’s accession to the Schengen area.
Visa-free regime for holders of Schengen visas for a stay of up to 90 days
On 25 January 2012 the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria adopted a decision according to which by the date of Bulgaria’s accession to the Schengen area, our country will unilaterally apply a visa-free system for holders of valid Schengen visas. They will have the right to enter and reside in the Republic of Bulgaria for a period of no more than three months in any six-month period from the date of the first entry, without needing to have a Bulgarian short-stay visa. The decision entered into force on 31.01.2012.
Visas are issued by the diplomatic and consular representatives of the Republic of Bulgaria, or by representatives of another member state of the European Union with which Bulgaria has an agreement for the presentation and acceptance of applications for visas and the issuance of visas.
Available visa types are as follows:
- Airport transit (visa type “A”);
- Short-term stay (visa type “C”);
- Long-term stay (visa type “D”).
- A fee is charged for the issuance of visas, according to the Fee Tariff No 3.
A foreign citizen wishing to apply for a Bulgarian visa shall hold a regular travel document that meets the following requirements:
- its validity expires at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria or in case of multiple visits – after the last scheduled date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- contains at least 2 blank pages for visa purposes;
- has been issued within the last 10 years.
Visas are issued by the diplomatic and consular representations of the Republic of Bulgaria.
Visa applications forms are submitted not earlier than 3 months before the date of the intended travel, personally or through an authorized agent, with the exception of humanitarian cases.
Visa applications for minors or judicially disabled personsshall be submitted by their legal representatives or by persons expressly authorized to do so.
Visa applications for underage persons or persons with limited judicial disability shall be submitted by their legal representatives, trustees or by persons expressly authorized to do so.
REQUIREMENTS WHEN FILLING IN VISA APPLICATIONS
All fields in the application shall be filled in legibly in typed letters. The names shall be filled in with Latin letters (the way they are spelt in the foreign travel passport). The rest of the information shall be filled in in English or Bulgarian. The application shall be signed by the applicant personally. The members of the family of European Union citizens shall fill in only those fields of the visa application form which indicate their family relationship.
Obligatory personal interview when applying for a type “D” visa
No exception shall be made from the requirement for a personal interview when applying for a long-stay visa.
Documents to be submitted with the visa application:
1. A photocopy of the first page of the foreign travel document;
2. A photocopy of the last Bulgarian and Schengen visas or visas for the UK and the US, if any
3. A colorful photograph 3,5 cm х 4,5 cm against light-colored background (the same holds for a child entered in the passport) – a full-face photo with clear, large enough face which takes up 70-80% of the photo; eyes must be red; the following is ineligible: photos with dark glasses; non-professional photos or cut out of amateur photos
4. A medical insurance valid for the EU member states for the whole period of the trip, covering all costs for repatriation and for urgent medical care and emergency hospital treatment for the period of the stay indicated in the visa. The insurance amount cannot be less than 30 thousand euro
5. tickets (original and copy) or ticket booking conformation or financial means
6. copy of the technical passport of the car of the trip
7. For under-aged children travelling without their parents or trustees the following documents shall be submitted:
- a copy of the birth certificate
- original and photocopy of a power of attorney notary certified by both parents/ trustees or by one parent trustee that they agree their child to travel unaccompanied by them.
The following persons are exempt from presenting proof for subsistence, accommodation and transportation:
1. Members of the families or the households of European Union, European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation citizens;
2. Persons applying for a visa for a long stay in view of gathering their families, in relation to a refugee status acquired or asylum in the Republic of Bulgaria – pursuant to a written decision of the State Agency for Refugees with the Council of Ministers
3. Holders of service and diplomatic passports
The following persons are exempt from presenting an insurance policy:
1. Members of the families or the households of European Union, European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation citizens
2. Holders of service and diplomatic passports
3. Seamen who meet the criteria of Convention №108 of the International Labour Organization when submitting applications for short-stay visas with the purpose of transit
4. Persons who can be deemed to be insured or can cover expenses in unforeseen circumstances due to their social or service status.
The following persons are exempt from fees for visa application processing
1. Foreign citizens who as of the date of the visa application are under 6 years
2. Members of Bulgarian and EU citizens’ families
VISA APPLICATION CENTERS (OUTSOURCING CENTERS)
In order to facilitate visa applicants, and to provide a better and quicker service, Bulgarian Consular Services started, on stages, accepting visa application forms through the so called Visa Application Centers ( Outsourcing Centers), operated by the VFC Global Company www.vfsglobal.com, specialized in providing visa services. For now, visa application forms could be submitted in this way at the Visa Application Centers situated in the following countries and cities:
Moscow, Sankt Petersburg, Ekaterininburg, Novosibirsk, Kazan, Samara, Nijni Novgorod, Krasnodar, Krasnoyarsk, Rostov on Don, Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Irkutsk, Ufa, Sochi and Kaliningrad.
Kiev, Odessa, Lvov, Lutsk, Ivano-Frankovsk, Donetsk, Kharkov and Simferopol
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Riyadh and Jeddah
Ankara, Istanbul, Edirne, Bursa, Gaziantep, Adana and Izmir.
Astana and Almaty
More detailed information about the Visa Application Centers’ locations, as well as regarding the terms and regulations of submitting the visa application forms you could find on the phones of the respective Bulgarian diplomatic Missions abroad and their websites.